Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dinner with Chanties

Meet my dinner date from tonight...

Chanterelles
aka "Chanties"


If you like mushrooms, then I highly suggest you try these golden beauties.
I cant even tell you what a delicious fungus they are!

They are quite pricey and hard to find....

They are found under mixed woods, under conifers and oaks
and apparently in Costco!
(West coast warehouse store)

Imagine how absolutely STUNNED I was to see them
at Costco for $9.99/lb

What a score!
(they go for over $20+/lb)

I was so excited I had to call the Stig and tell him of my find
afterall, he is the one who introduced me to Chanties years before....
He had a connection that used to harvest them
(a friend of a friend, of a friend....etc. PRE-Lolo)
They are very tempermental and
only grow in certain conditions for a short time.
(think of truffles and bad hair days)

Anyhoo -
this is my throw together recipe for Chanties

1/2 lb Chanterelle mushrooms (dry-brushed cleaned and stems trimmed)
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbspn butter
3 cloves garlic-minced
4 tspns worschestire
salt/pepper

Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes
(until all liquid is absorbed)

and then...
{*angelic voices singing*}



They have the most amazing taste
Its almost fruity like apricots
I swear.....
nothing like plain ol' button mushrooms
(which I happen to love too!)

The Stig and I enjoyed our Chanties along with :

Butternut Squash Ravioli
Basil Artichoke Alfredo
fresh Spinach
my favorite La Brea french baguette
and of course some Pinot Noir (Byron Winery)
(I replenished my low stock!)

True Story......
did I ever tell you we named our dog after a Winery?!
(see above said Winery)

Oh, and did you notice
 somethin new peaking out in the center of the the table??!!

I will be back on tomorrow to tell you all about it!

XOX

* ps - Im working on a lil treat for you all :)

2 comments:

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~* Looks delicious..I see a trip to costco coming up!!! ;) Rachel~*~*

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Lolo!
Sooooo good to 'see' you today...thanks for stopping by! First I want to say I have NEVER tasted these mushrooms but after reading this post I want to run out and buy some. They sound absolutely delish! Second I want to say...you poor dear growing up with 4 brothers! At least in our house I had two girls and 3 boys with 21 years between son #1 and #5...ya I know. Anyway it sounds like you had a good life with your siblings...lots of adventures. I'm having a great time reading your old posts..lots of fun! I'll be back for sure. Enjoy what's left of your Monday..
Maura :)