I need your help
My brain has been a-buzz
All sortsa ideas and figurations goin' on in there.....
I have loved the rustic, industrial farmhouse look
for some time now
The Stig.....
not so much!
He hasnt quite come to terms with my love of
rusty, chippy and worn
He thinks all the vintage doo-dads that I have found
over the years are really cool....
he even has his "own" collection of rusty crusty thing-a-ma-bobs
But -
he doesnt quite understand the look
that I am trying to go with in our future kitchen
I have s-l-o-w-l-y been incorporating some industrial and metal
in our current kitchen
(i say slowly in the sense that he hasnt really noticed!)
to try to get him on the decor band-wagon
You see
unfortunately for me
my hubby has a design sense too
(he really does have a good eye)
I say unfortunately because I dont have free reign
on decorating our house
(still not allowed to have "girly" colors or too many ruffles in our bedroom!)
The Stig has his own decor and style sense
sometimes its a bit too dark, rustic and woodsy
Dont get me wrong....
I am a huge fan of rustic and wood
He loves and trusts my taste
but its usually AFTER :
- its already in our house
- numerous people have praised how everything looks
- constant reassuring from me
And our style is truly a blend of both of us.
It works....
And our style is truly a blend of both of us.
It works....
But, it seems we are butting heads with the kitchen/dining area
I am really pushing hard for a compromise....
aka my way :)
I am really pushing hard for a compromise....
aka my way :)
I too am a fan of the rustic
(we have quite a few rustic pieces)
He is just leary of the white with the rustic
(he wants ALL wood! Ugh!)
And then I mention painting some wood white ....
You would have thought I bit his ear off!
(sorry Holyfield)
And then I mention painting some wood white ....
You would have thought I bit his ear off!
(sorry Holyfield)
I am just afraid that the kitchen of the new house (aka Edith)
is just way too small to have alot of wood
Hence the need for WHITE.
I dont think it can handle alot of dark wood....
This picture is one of my favorite inspirations right now:
image
Love the openness, hints of industrial metal (dining chairs, stool,lighting)
Also the glass uppers!
Love the openness, hints of industrial metal (dining chairs, stool,lighting)
Also the glass uppers!
Isnt this kitchen a beauty??
image
Arent those stools the freakin coolest?!
And we have this same idea for our island.....old reclaimed wood
(once again, I am pushing for whitewashing it!)
Arent those stools the freakin coolest?!
And we have this same idea for our island.....old reclaimed wood
(once again, I am pushing for whitewashing it!)
While the Stig is leaning pushing towards more of this :
See how it just feels dark?
I do love the beams....especially the big ol' header withe the rock above it.
I am willing to possibly go this dark on our cabinets.....only if we get a light colored countertop.
We both like Corian.
Crazy we agree on that!
We both like Corian.
Crazy we agree on that!
This is what we already have to work with:

This is our farmhouse table.
Should I paint the legs, only, white?
Also got these barstools from Overstock.com
Love them!
(the Stig...not so much)
I just ordered custom white ruffled slipcovers for them
(to help soften the industrial look)
We have ALL oak cabinets to work with...ugh
(hey I cant complain when we got them for practically "Free")
My plan is to either:
A: Paint them white
(yes, I know it will be a bitch - but remember I am trying to "lighten" up the kitchen!)
B: Stain them darker (the Stig is on-board for this)
What are your thoughts??!
Has anyone else tackled painting oak cabinets?
I would really appreciate any and all tips!
Also, how does your Hubby feel about the decor of your house?
Does he have an opinion?
Does he have his own style?
If so, what is it?
(besides the "stop and drop" style!)










8 comments:
GIRL, we are in the SAME boat! My guy doesn't get the whole industrial, chippy, shabby,happy look either! I also don't have free reign (as I moved into his place)....I wonder which one of us IF either will get OUR WAY (which is the right way :) Right?!?). AS for the table, I think just the legs white would be a GREAT compromise for you and your guy and fabulously chic! AND if you don't like it, you can always paint the top later!
i say go with the white cabinets and maybe darker counters, black?? industrial looks fantastic with black counters....and then keep the farm table the same color, but paint the legs...my hubby doesn't care really, now I am not sure he would approve a pink bedroom, but ruffles he doesn't care!!
Lolo, I’m so happy that you and your husband were able to compromise over light Corian® countertops! They’ll look great with light or dark cabinets and will keep the bright feel you're looking for. If you’re interested, you might want to check out our facebook page http://www.facebok.com/corianhome. I’m sure that our online community can give you some great tips relevant to your renovation. Good luck! Christine from DuPont
Hmmm...here's a couple thoughts...you could (like Tara said) paint the cabinets white or even a pale gray with a black counter (that's what I did)...you could also (if hubby isn't too excited about painted cabinets) stain them darker or leave them as is and try taking off some of the doors to make them look more like shelves (and give the kitchen a lighter feel) and fill the open shelves with white plates and bowls.
I love Andrea's idea of staining the cabinets darker (i wouldn't go to dark) and leaving some of the the shelving open displaying white dishes. I love your bar stools and think they will look so pretty with the ruffled slip covers- I can't wait to see that! Your farm table is gorgeous- truly a beautiful piece.
I'm all about industrial chic, white kitchens but considering the Stig actually gives o' crap about decor (unlike my man), a happy compromise is in order and I agree with Andrea...dark stain & open a few up. Then accent the heck out if it with whites.
Jami
Do not paint that table top!!!
I'm ALL ABOUT painting the oak cabinets white! I haven't tackled it, but hope to soon. The hubby isn't wild about the idea-- he likes the look of wood. But he understands how "crafty" people have needs! haha! After about a year of debating, he's finally on board.
Post a Comment